Tuesday, May 4, 2010

My First Ultra Marathon- Yes im probably a Retard!


So yesterday started off my official training day in an attempt to complete an ultra-marathon. The course I have chosen is a 50 Mile Trek on the southern most part of the Appalachia. The technical level is 4 0ut of 5 ranking and the scenery is 5 out of 5.
Ultra Marathons; why would any one want to abuse themselves like this? I don't know. But there is one thing for sure; the lure to running a 50 miler is sooooo appealing to me. I don't know why because, I actually hate running. But sometimes when the calling comes you have to engulf yourself in it. So here I am day 2 of training feeling good and a bit tired. Looking forward to some much needed rest and definitely looking forward to tomorrow resting all day tomorrow. Prior to considering if I want to run the 50 miler. I have been doing tons of research on the subject of running ultras. There is so much information on the web about the small but growing elite group of ultra runners, that it was enough for me to formulate and concoct my own training schedule. My wife thinks im crazy. She asked if it was a two day race. The course cutoff is 13hrs. Im trying to do in it 10hrs. Im a big endurance guy and I will see what my body is made of.
From what I gather, Ultras are not about speed like a full marathon. Ultras are about endurance on the cellular level. Training for this race is not so much about training for how fast and long I can go; rather it's about how much I can increase my Mitochondria and make them stronger so they can support me over the long haul. There are many trains of thoughts on how to fuel yourself for the race. Im under the persuasion to use fat as fuel source more than carbs. The trick is to train at a level over a period of time slow enough that your body switches from using it's glycogen stores to using the endless supply of fat and yes skinny people have an endless supply of fat. Me on the other hand I can probably run around the earth 4 or 5 times on my fat reserves. But that's another topic, the point is, fat is a source 0f energy that is waiting to be used and there is no better way to tap into this resource than to train for an ultra marathon. Ok thats a snippet of my .2 cents on this subject. I figure I start posting about my adventures leading up to and finishing this race since there is not alot on the subject from people who have never even ran a marathon before. So im paving new roads. Ohhhh how much my feet are going to hurt;(

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Just started following your blog. Stumbled across it looking for urban potatoe planters. But on the topic A must read for anyone starting is Born to Run, I credit the book in my inspiration to do stupid endurance things. Check it out here http://www.amazon.com/Born-Run-Hidden-Superathletes-Greatest/dp/0307266303


Additionally being a stickler for math you mentioned your ".2 cents"... please see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt1w4iRNWLA unless you actually are trying to coin a new phrase "my two tenths of a cent" in which case go with god my friend and forget i ever said anything!!! Good luck with the run man.

Robin said...

Awesome! Best of luck in your plans, can't wait to read about how it all goes for you. I am kicking around the notion of an eventual ultra. I have really really come to love trail running and have put in a couple of longer trail runs recently.
Have you read Paleo Diet for Athletes? He talks a fair bit on there about periodizing your nutrition to promote fat burning in ultra endurance events, training your body to rely more on fat for fuel.
I also second the recommend for Born to Run if you haven't read it yet!

ATW said...

Robin- Thanks for the book suggestion, I ordered them from amazon and they are a great read. The paleo diet seems right on target with how I want to perform. I do have a bit of a sweet tooth and try to consume after workouts. Thanks again:)