Sunday, November 8, 2009

I feel like pulling my stubble out.....

First, this friday was amazing; we met our new pup "Jackson" at the airport. He was everything we ever expected. Im sure there was a lot of confusion going on with him as we did our little meet and greet. My wife and I realized that we really never owned a puppy. When cheeba came to our door step she was beyond the yappy I need everything stage. So it's kind of new for us to deal with such a fragile giant. Right now crate training is going really well. We just have to fight beyond the cries of bloody murder and keep on a schedule. I realize that the best we can do for Jackson is to give him direction and stay consistent. For now we are off to a great start.

Second; Saturday started with me and petsmart having a big argument. Yesterday morning I decided to again resume trapping a passage redtail. But I first needed to get a dark colored mouse. So I walked into petsmart and I asked one of the managers if they had any feeder mice. She looked at me with certain disgust. She said, "Oh, we don't sell feeder mice! All of our animals are for pets only!" I was so friggen annoyed. so I looked around the store and snapped back by saying, " So I guess that fish tank full of FEEDER fish is not meant to FEED other fish and that cage of "Crickets" is not feed your lizards?" She had no comment as suspected. I know she was calling me everything in the book. But I was just fed up and asked her to just get me one of her fancy mice. Her eyes got soooooooooo wide and she blurted out that "WE DO NOT SELL FEEDER MICE!" I said, "Ahhh, yeah I know, you made that very clear, sooooooo, please sell me a FANCY MOUSE!" She said, "For What?!" I said, "Forrrrrrr none of your business!" I told her that it was obvious I was not going to feed a mouse that cost seven dollars. I just need it to catch a hawk. When I said that her big Jawls just started Gasping, as though she was having an asthma attack. Im in total disbelief at this point. I cut it short by telling her that my mice don't get hurt they are in a cage and the hawk can't get to them. But before I could by the FRIGGEN, FANCY MOUSE, I had to get literature on Mice care and sign some papers on some other stuff and the whole time I am screaming inside Saying, "I JUST WANT A DAMN MOUSE LADY!!!" So with a few more deep sighs I sign the papers and receive my mouse. While everybody looked at me with there little beady eyes piercing through my soul as I walked out. All I could say as I walked out was. WTF!?!?!

Trapping- I get my Fancy Mouse in the trap and within 30 mins from the time I left petsmart I had One Adult Female on the trap. I had to let her go because I was looking for a passage bird. I began my trek through the mountains and found a great spot over some farm land where I saw a huge Passage redtail and threw the trap out. The Passage Redtail Came to the Trap and I said, "YES!" I drove up to the trap and the Huge Passage Redtail was trying to foot the mouse through the cage. But I noticed something. Not one damn Noose was hooked onto her talons or leg. I shook my head in disbelief. I drove my car up to the trap approx 10 feet away and the Redtail didn't move. She just RIVER DANCED on the trap trying to catch the mouse and didn't get caught. Again, Pulling my stubble out saying WTF!?!?! And she flew off. What a day, what a day, What a day.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a day of adventure. It seems that you always get the "best" in society when it comes to common sense. I find it amazing how much concern "we" can have for animals and so little concern for humans. Happy gardening and hunting. (formerly wkj).

ATW said...

L2G- Thanks. Im a mgnet for wack jobs or maybe im just a bit more observant. But any way my fancy mouse is chilling out. I can't believe all that took place over a mouse.

Sue said...

So, does that mean the lady wouldn't trap a mouse if it got in her house??? I agree- WTF!

The Beneficial Bee said...

Great post! Can you take some pics the next time you try to catch a hawk? I would really like to see what you are describing. Thanks, Jess

Wendy said...

The deep irony is that you were at one of those "big box" pet stores, who are are notoriously inhumane when it comes to the treatment of the animals they sell. PETA has investigated several different stores on numerous occasions, and there are hours worth of video showing the deplorable conditions in which these animals are kept. Maybe at that store, they are more careful to check-out their suppliers, or the store employees are trying to put on a good "public face."

Either way, what a riot! I love the way you tell a story :).

Good luck catching the hawk. It must be incredible to hold such an incredibly powerful animal.

ATW said...

Sue-LMAO!! I love animals like the next person. But do we have to take it to that extreme?!?!

BB-I will definately take some more pics. I have been a little frustrated with not getting a bird and every outing I try to find a way to trap an Immature, but next week I have a secret weapon for these hawks that they can't resist. I'll be sure to have my camera with me if I am not to excited to remember:)

Wendy- Thanks for the comment. It's a humbling experience to work with the birds. They have such power and are so graceful. Many of these wanna-do-right-for-the-planet have good intentions but they seem to be drinking from the same coolaid and thier ideas are way off in left field. I would probably be sent to jail in some parts of the state for showing my sons how to gut a deer.