Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Lets Talk Urban Goats

There are alot of opinions about raising goats in an Urban Environment. I can only speak truthfully and honestly about my experiences. First of all, goats are fun. They are truly entertaining and are extremely intelligent. Nevertheless raising them inside of an Urban environment has its complexities. Goats like any other Farm Animal need to move around. They need to be stimulated. A bored goat will let you know he is bored. They go from quiet to making insane racket.
Jake my Billy Pictured here is hell bent to see whats on the other side of the fence behind the door and any place that is off limits to him. One day while cleaning his pen he rammed my son knocking him down; ran out to the yard... headed straight for my porch steps and ran straight through my glass door. Ouch!! Yup... that Damn Goat!! The word "Curry" just saturated my thoughts at that time. Its almost like the goats are plotting. Like they know they are smarter than Humans. Somethings going on in that head of theirs that we just assume is primal instinct. I am erring on the side of caution because I believe they are secretly trying to take over the world!
 
Would I do Goats again? Yes and No... Yes If I had more land for them to frolic and do their goat business on and No because the Juice is not worth the squeeze. In an Urban Environment you need to be efficient and everything is competing for space. The benefits of raising Goats are that they provide rich Nutrient droppings for the garden. They provide milk.. But really??? I can get milk. If I were a Dooms Day Prepper I can see the benefits of having Goats.. But you will need more than one to benefit from. Goats only breed once a year so its not like you can provide yourself a steady source of meat. So looking at this carefully... in an urban environment. I'm going to have to give a Thumbs Down on the goats. Rabbits are a far better choice in terms of efficiency and caring for in an Urban Setting than raising goats. The debate will continue on the Urban goat Saga. While we poke away at whats good and whats no...t we better focus on them Goats, Before they take over the world:)
 

1 comment:

Online Plant Nursery said...

love goats! they clean up a place so well and eat about anything that wont bit them back. In the early 1900's people who were lazy and let their places go, the law would bring in goats to clean and comdemn houses.