Sunday, December 9, 2012

Winter Garden for Zone 8





 

This Winter gardening has been pretty simple. Over the years I have had some complex issues trying to grow Veggies during the winter in Zone 8. The truth is... Growing any veggie in Zone 8 during the winter is much easier than trying to attempt it during the Summer.

My main problem was keeping the local squirrels out of my garden. I started a squirrel eradication campaign by just wiping them out. Squirrels have quickly become the leading pest to destroy my garden and a one pump pellet gun that shoots 1200fps is the best control measure against squirrels. Yes I know there are people in the neighborhood who balk at the idea of shooting squirrels. So what you have to do is shoot them in head so that way they just drop. Lucky for me Squirrel meat is absolutely delicious and I use those engagements as another way to put meat in the freezer. I hear a Jeff Foxworthy joke coming... "You might be a RedNeck If........." LOL!!
But with all that said my efforts have proved fruitful for the first time in a few years where I dont have too fight with critters eating my harvest.
This years winters harvest in the Zone 8 Region will consist of Broccoli, Cabbage, Collards, Swiss Chard, A hydrid cabbage Collard Combo thingy, Artichoke and of course the food of the Gods.. Garlic!!

Temps are very mild for this time of the year but these plants thrive when the air is crisp. Im looking forward to saute greens in the near future.

 

No comments: