Friday, December 19, 2008

Raising Rabbits at the Homestead??

I have been doing alot of research on the steps to self-sufficientism. One subject that has peeked my interest is the raising of rabbits for meat. I think this is a great idea. For one most urban dwelling enviroments will not allow chickens and I would think to raise chiskens for meat would be a bit tough if you want to do it right.

Rabbits on the other hand are very prolific. The Doe has a 30 day gestation period and the young can be slaugthered in approx 10-12 weeks from birth. New zealands have on average 8-10 young and the females (If not slaugthered) can be bred at 6 months.


For someone striving to be selfsuffecient this seems like the perfect plan to supplement a diet from store bought meat.


I comfronted the misses about the idea of using rabbits to supplement our meat diet and at first she was a bit sqeamish, but she came around and compromised by saying "As long as I don't have to see them die." Well Thats fine with me I am in the business of doing dirty work that most people can't bring themselves to do.


From what I gather you can't compromise fresh water with rabbits. They need it religously. And they need to be fed everyday. These are things my wife will love to do. I will have to keep track of the does and when they breed and how often.


Next year my challenge will be to eat everything I have grown, raised or killed. I can't get away from milk. If I had a goat I would be set. But if it ain't rabbit or chicken I slaughtered it will be deer, wild boar, or squirrel I killed during hunting season. This will be my new years resolution to live off my plot. I will definately give it an honorable try

No comments: