Thursday, September 3, 2009

Growing habanero peppers


Alas my first HOT PEPPERS EVER!! My Habanero plants did extremely well this season. The plant itself was waist high and is still producing many peppers. These things are ATOMIC!! HANDLE WITH CARE!! I mean literally. Don't do what I did several years ago; while cooking some amazing venison chili and chuggin a few coronas, I had to go to the bathroom and Habanero residue was still on my hands. I need say no more.........
So while picking these grenades I was so excited to test them out. I picked one up, smelt it and I could literally smell the heat. My mouth started to water, my brain new that I was about to do something stupid and I did. I bit right into it. I thought...... not so bad....... WOE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That bite was a delayed reaction for the heat that ravaged through my mouth. OMG!! HOT, HOT, STUPID SERIOUS HEAT HOT. But sooooo Goood!!
The peppers thrived off a good mixture of compost and regular feeding of fertilizer. With all of this Georgia heat the peppers are in nirvana. To give you an idea of the type of heat habanero produces, I will compare them to jalapeno peppers. All peppers are rated on the heat index in scoville units. Green peppers are obviously Zero; jalapenos are between 2000 and 5000 scoville units and Habaneros, "the devils candy," run at amazing 200,000 - 300,000 scoville units. HOT AS HELL!! BUT UMMMMM SOO GOOD!! But please before cooking with these WASH YOUR HANDS BEFORE HEADING TO THE BATHROOM!!!

3 comments:

Sue said...

Too funny!
Alas, we don't grow peppers anymore. Michigan is tooo cold, and I have acid reflux now. Damn!
:D

ATW said...

LOL, I think I am going to burn a hole right through my stomach. have you had any success growing indoors? Peppers need alot of heat, I wonder how they will do growing inside.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post, we will post your Hydroponic vegetable gardening indoors article. I will post for our customers to see your articles on your blog Hydroponic vegetable gardening indoors