Saturday, September 12, 2009

Shiso Diva


It's official my wife has moved up in rank from Shiso novice, to Shiso Farmer, Shiso Queen, and now she can be Officially called the Shiso Diva. This growing season has been so productive for her Shiso. I think it was a combination of things that caused her to be so successful but the one overwhelming element that caused her success was determination. She was determined to grow a bounty of shiso this year and when it took off it heightened her curiosity to learn more and grow more. Chances are if you have eaten sushi from a real sushi bar you have eaten shiso. The Shiso is used as a garnish. My wife and I have been trying to identify the taste of shiso but it is very difficult because it doesn't taste like any other herb, it is unique in both texture and taste and ultimately defined as shiso according to the Diva herself;)

2 comments:

Kenneth Moore said...

That is awesome! I had some shiso earlier this summer, but could not figure out what to do with it. I recently just watched Maangchi's video on how to make shiso kimchi and pickles (she calls it "perilla," which is also the genus name for shiso). I'm not sure how your wife cooks it, but I'm totally trying these recipes out!

ATW said...

Ken- I can't keep up with all the recipes she makes with it but the one that sticks out the most is tempora shiso. I thought that was awesome. Thanks for the link I will check that out.