Sunday, September 27, 2009

Primitive BBQ

Recently I picked up an amazing Cooking Book ( Jamie at home, Cook your way to the Good Life)by the Naked Chef, Jamie Oliver. In the book he shows some pics of primitive style BBQ. I pride myself on being somewhat of a pit master. But then I quickly realized that my skills as a BBQ man are made up of all the conveniences like charcoal and tools. So I got to thinking what if I took the conveniences away. Any one can grill meat over a fire when all the conveniences are in place. So with a little research on how indigenous people cook over an open fire I tried my first piece of meat primitive BBQ style. The first thing you have to do when cooking over an open fire is to get a substantial number of hot coals. And by hot coals I mean burnt down wood turned into the white chunks of nothing that most people don't care about. Those white chunks of ash and wood are the main source of heat that will keep your meat burning at an even temp. These coals are the trigger mechanism to cook and restart your fire when needed. I first started off by using all of the dead branches I had laying around the property. I cut the limbs and separated them by girth, keeping the little twigs together, medium sized twigs and thick saplings separate, varying the time I tossed them into the fire to keep it going and hot. The result, I produced a large amount of coals that were able to burn anything put on them and they were able to maintain a great deal of radiant heat. This is my first attempt at Primitive BBQ. I look forward to perfecting the art.

2 comments:

Really Rosiem said...

Now I'm hungry . . .

ATW said...

Really Rose- it turned out pretty good. I want to perfect the art first and then I will be able to regulate the taste.