Monday, May 4, 2009

Growing Blackberries?


My Blackberry twigs that I planted awhile ago are confusing the bajeezus out of me. Unlike my dwarf cherry and peach tree, the twigs have not produced any sprouts. In fact the twigs that I have planted look like they are drought stricken. But here is the confusing part, if you click on the photo you can see green leafed foliage growing at the base of the twigs and parallel. I'm really confused about this, because I have not found any information on blackberry twig growth and I am hesitant to pull anything from around twig. The same thing is happening to another blackberry plant elsewhere in the garden. Any comments or explanation would be greatly appreciated

6 comments:

Melissa ~ Mom to 6 said...

I meant to reply to your comment - but I haven't gotten around to that yet. Sorry! I don't have blackberries in the ground yet, however, my Boysenberries are doing exactly what you've described. I called the local nursery and they assure me that it's fine - they send up new growth. Here's a link http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1431.html It has more info about pruning them, but also has info on how they grow. Hope this helps!!

ATW said...

Melissa-- Thank you soo much. And trust me I understand not being able to answer everything. We are all busy people. I will look into this and post my findings

ChristyACB said...

That is normal. My elderberries are doing the same. They don't re-awaken at the original twig, but rather at the base. Yours look good!

ATW said...

Christy- Biggggg Sigh of relief, Im glad to be getting all of this good news. I love blackberries and will love to make some jam next year. Thanks for the info.

Sue said...

Good timing on this post...I've just received my "twigs" and have put them in a bucket of soil until my garden expansion is complete. I too, thought they looked "dead".
Thank you.......

ATW said...

Sue- your welcome, I thank Melissa and Christy for updated info. I was confused, but now im happy.