Saturday, November 29, 2008

The Master Plan

My major Poject is going to be, transforming my backyard into a functional vegetable and fruit bearing urban garden. Ok, Ok I admit that for an urban enviroment I have more space than some but nontheless, it's not the space you have it's what you do with it. I don't want to mess this up. I have to get this right.

My issue is that I want to design something that will look cosmetically appealing and at the same time be functional. I know I can just go in there and turn the ground and lay some seed and BAM!! But with anything, I want to bring a sense of good taste and a touch of class to my urban garden. I think If I can develop these skills while I am in my infancy, I would be able to bring this with me anywhere I go and no matter whether I am living in my magnificient Victorian Greek Revival or a trailer home, I want my garden to add to instead of take away from the appeal of my living space.
I want my design layout to be very functional. I need to ability to rotate my crops from bed to bed every year without having the same crop in the same bed for at least three years. At the same time I want to have a few fruit bearing trees and vines from the dwarf variety to create a mini orchard. I need this place to be veryself-sufficient, with the exception of me turning the ground and planting new seed I need the garden to be able to take care of itself.
I know this may reqiure me to prune and trim until its self-sustained but thats a small price to pay for the benefits that will follow. But for now this is a work in progress and alot of thought and planning is going into this project before I break ground.


No comments: