My buddy the Indoor gardener tagged me for earth month. My wife and I sat down and talked about all of the things we do on a regular basis and things that we would like to do more. I was a bit confused at first, I thought I was to come up with ways on how to save the environment and that in itself became very complexed. But thank god the tag is just for my soap box. So here it goes:
1. We are going to use everything in our refrigerator before we buy anymore food. We budget every month for food and have gotten into the habit of purchasing food and overlapping into the next cycle even though we have plenty of food still available. So by using all of our food and being creative with what we have we can save more money and produce less waste.
2. Unplug my friggin PC when I leave for the day. Along with my televisions and microwave. The major appliances still need to be hooked up, but cutting back inches can add up to yards in the future.
3. Go dumpster diving. Im sure there are many things that are thrown out in the trash that can be recycled and re-utilized in the garden.
4. Volunteer at my local community garden. The more people that get involved with community gardening the stronger our communities can grow. By working together we can all appreciate and work toward a common goal and as my grandmother always stated from an African proverb," many hands make light work."
5. Develop a more efficient way to utilize chicken droppings in an urban environment for my composting needs.
I think I'm to much of an introvert to tagg anyone for earth month. However, I would love to get ideas from people that frequent the blog. Most of my new habits have come from the actions of others. But I thank the Indoor gardener for giving us something to think about.