Thursday, April 9, 2009

The First ladys' Garden

Looking at pictures of the First Lady on her hands and knees tending to her new vegetable garden is a powerful sight for me. I come from an organization where my leaders are active in leading from the front and this active role the First Lady has taken to grow vegetables on the White House Lawn is extremely inspirational.

Every Day I drive around my town and I see land that is just going to waste. I can tell the by the lush grass the soil is good and there is this burning desire in me to want to dig and plant all over my city. I know that my efforts will soon give way to pilfers and trampled on by people who need to take shortcuts from street to the next. But I also see these same people working and having a source of income from their hard labor or paying for crimes through community service in the form of a sophisticated gardening effort. Our Country has come full circle and now we are back in the age of where self-sufficiency and local grown are being realized as the standard. We still have a long way to go, but it's a good start when our White House is leading the way. Impressive! More Photos of the garden http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/White-House-vegetable-garden/ss/events/pl/041009obamagarden#photoViewer=/090409/photos_ts_afp/a27230f7a0da7f9db153649ae0876930

6 comments:

Kenneth Moore said...

Yo, check out Guerrilla Gardening. There are good ideas on there about stealthily gardening all those fertile, underutilized pieces of land in your town. There are message boards, too, to help find people in your area who might want to help out, if you're interested. :-D

I really need to go check in on my neighbours. I live on the same street and work just a few blocks away, but I have yet to go have a nice glass of iced tea and admire their spinach.

Kenneth Moore said...

hm, my bad. http://www.guerrillagardening.org

blogger makes weird links sometimes....

ATW said...

Kenneth- Thanks, I will check this out. I have heard about it but never really did any research on it. It sounds like alot of fun. I have hella seeds that I can use and I definately don't want them to go to waste. Question what do you do about water? Hmmm speaking of which maybe I can guerrilla garden up on a river bank. Oh Damn Kenneth like I need something else to feel passionate about. This sounds like fun

The Beneficial Bee said...

I agree! Yay Michelle!

Melissa ~ Mom to 6 said...

ATW see if you can partner with a church or a food pantry and set up a container garden. It'll blossom from there. I volunteer with www.IGOks.com and it's the same principal - we just get people who WANT A garden to let us do it for/with them.

ATW said...

Melissa- thats a good Idea I have to do some research. there is a new community garden i my town that just started up they are called the garden of feeden and they are trying to feed the homeless fresh produce. I think its a great idea I can learn alot from them and one day I can branch off and start my own.